On average a home owner sells a property once every 5 to 7 years. When it comes to preparing your property for sale, first impressions count. By following these simple, inexpensive selling tips, you will help to make your homes sale a success.
Making your home comfortable while you’re living there is fine; but once you decide to sell, you need to let other people see your home it at its best.
Some turn offs include:
- Animal odours;
- Cigarette or strong food odours;
- Cracked windows or broken locks;
- Doors or windows that don’t open or close;
- Evidence of damp or mould in the walls or ceiling;
- Stained carpets;
- Too much furniture or too many personal items.
Presentation is the key:
- Have your home detailed thoroughly;
If you can’t do this yourself, consider having a professional do it for you. It is a relatively small investment, and will increase the appeal of your home, and more than likely will increase the final sales price.
- Remove clutter and excessive personal items;
Excessive items tend to make a home feel smaller and can hinder your potential buyer from fully appreciating what your home has to offer.
- Clean the kitchen and bathrooms and toilets, including all floors;
- Clean windows, doors and window sills – allow fresh air in and use air freshener if needed;
- Keep the lawns and gardens neat and remove all excess rubbish;
- Clear leaves from gutters and remove cobwebs from the outside of the home;
- Check and replace broken door or window glass panels and locks;
- Make sure all entry areas are uncluttered and welcoming to potential buyers.
For more information on selling your home, or to arrange an obligation free market appraisal, please contact us.