On average a home owner sells a property once every 5 to 7 years. When it comes to preparing your property for sale, first impressions count. By following these simple, inexpensive selling tips, you will help to make your homes sale a success.
Making your home comfortable while you’re living there is fine; but once you decide to sell, you need to let other people see your home it at its best.
Some turn offs include:
- Animal odours;
- Cigarette or strong food odours;
- Cracked windows or broken locks;
- Doors or windows that don’t open or close;
- Evidence of damp or mould in the walls or ceiling;
- Stained carpets;
- Too much furniture or too many personal items.
Presentation is the key:
- Have your home detailed thoroughly;
If you can’t do this yourself, consider having a professional do it for you. It is a relatively small investment, and will increase the appeal of your home, and more than likely will increase the final sales price.
- Remove clutter and excessive personal items;
Excessive items tend to make a home feel smaller and can hinder your potential buyer from fully appreciating what your home has to offer.
- Clean the kitchen and bathrooms and toilets, including all floors;
- Clean windows, doors and window sills – allow fresh air in and use air freshener if needed;
- Keep the lawns and gardens neat and remove all excess rubbish;
- Clear leaves from gutters and remove cobwebs from the outside of the home;
- Check and replace broken door or window glass panels and locks;
- Make sure all entry areas are uncluttered and welcoming to potential buyers.
For more information on selling your home, or to arrange an obligation free appraisal, please contact us.
For all your real estate needs!